In recent years, there has been a remarkable shift in the world of men’s grooming, as traditional hairstyles are being replaced by more unique and expressive ones. One such trend that has gained significant popularity is the use of Locs, Twists & Braids for men as a statement of style and individuality.
From hip-hop to high fashion, Locs, Twists & Braids for Men are versatile and creative ways for people to express themselves. These hairstyles not only look great but also offer a practical solution for those looking to maintain their hair without compromising on style.
Making any of Locs, Twists & Braids as a guy especially in cultures, where such are frowned upon, can greatly impact your personal identity and self-expression. As against the popular shaved hairstyles for men, these men’s grooming styles are breaking down societal barriers and challenging traditional notions of masculinity.
Over here, we detailed some of the major tips on styling Locs, Twists & Braids for men, from the various styles – the classic cornrows, intricate knotless braids and free-form locs, to tips on how to care for and maintain these hairstyles.
So whether you are considering trying out new braided or locked styles or are already a seasoned pro, this article will be your best guide to embrace the beauty and power of Locs, Twists & Braids for men.
Techniques and Styles of Locs, Twists & Braids
There are various techniques and styles when it comes to Locs, Twists & Braids. So whether you prefer a classic or more unique style, the following hairstyles are versatile and creative ways to express your individuality and style.
This technique involves braiding the hair close to the scalp in straight, narrow rows. Cornrows are a versatile style that can be worn in different patterns and sizes.
Most commonly, classic cornrows have straight, narrow rows of braids that can be worn in various patterns and sizes. On the other hand, zigzag cornrows are a unique pattern of cornrows that involves braiding the hair in a zigzag pattern.
To create twists, you simply pull two sections of hair together in a twisted fashion. You can make this hairstyle with or without hair extensions. Also, the sizes of the style can range from small, tightly coiled twists to large, loose twists.
When you braid your hair into small, square-shaped sections, it automatically becomes box braids. These small, square-shaped sections of hair can be worn long or short and the braids can be styled in various ways.
While knotless braids are relatively newer techniques, they have gained so much popularity in no time. To make these braids for men, you start with braiding the natural hair then, you gradually add extensions, resulting in a more natural-looking braid. The braided man bun is another trendy style and it involves styling the hair into a bun at the top of the head.
Locs are ordinarily created by letting the hair grow and naturally intertwine over time. This technique requires patience and commitment but can result in unique and beautiful hairstyles.
However, you can also ask a hairstylist to lock your hair without having to wait forever for your hair to intertwine. Locs need proper maintenance if you want them to remain neat. The very popular free-form locs are created without a specific pattern, resulting in a more organic and unique look.
Caring for and Maintaining Locs, Twists & Braids
Proper maintenance is essential in keeping Locs, Twists & Braids for men looking their best and maintaining healthy hair and scalp. In this section, we will provide tips and advice on how to care for and maintain these hairstyles, as well as the products and tools needed. They are as follows:
- Keep your scalp clean and moisturized: Regularly washing and moisturizing your scalp can prevent dryness, flakiness, and itching.
- Avoid over-styling: Over-styling can cause breakage and damage to the hair. Limit the use of heat styling tools and avoid pulling your hair too tight.
- Protect your hair at night: Sleeping with a satin or silk bonnet can prevent tangling and frizz.
- Maintain a healthy diet: Eating a balanced diet with plenty of vitamins and nutrients can also promote healthy hair growth and scalp health.
Importance of Proper Maintenance
Generally, women take care of their hair more than men do. However, it is also important for men to properly maintain their Locs, Twists & Braids. Below are the major importance of caring for your hair as a man.
- Good hair care helps the hairstyles to look neat and tidy.
- It promotes healthy hair growth and scalp health, as neglecting your hair can lead to dryness, breakage, and even hair loss.
- Regular maintenance also helps to prevent tangling and matting of the hair, which can be difficult to undo and may require cutting.
Products and Tools to Use in Maintaining Locs, Twists & Braids
- Shampoo and conditioner: Use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner that is gentle on the hair and scalp.
- Hair oils and moisturizers: Use a lightweight hair oil or moisturizer to keep your hair and scalp hydrated.
- Detangling brush: A detangling brush can help to prevent tangling and breakage when detangling your hair.
- Hair ties: Use hair ties that are gentle on the hair and don’t pull too tightly.
- Satin or silk bonnet: Sleeping with a satin or silk bonnet can prevent tangling and frizz.
Locs, Twists & Braids for men are more than just hairstyles; they are a symbol of individuality and self-confidence. By embracing these styles, men can express their unique personalities and showcase their creativity.
With a variety of techniques, styles, and maintenance tips, there are endless possibilities when it comes to Locs, Twists & Braids. By taking care of your hair and scalp and using the right products and tools, you can keep your Locs, Twists & Braids looking their best for months to years to come.
Now let’s take a look at some of the iconic and stylish Locs, Twists & Braids that can easily make you stand out from the crowd