Buying sewing machines could be so difficult for new fashion designers, the current cost of sewing machines in Nigeria has been listed here for you to choose from based on your budget so if you are just done with your fashion designing training but don’t know how to go about procuring a standard-cost sewing machine we have you covered.
One of the most important equipment for fashion designers, shoemakers/designers, upholstery e.t.c is the sewing machine, it is the major equipment and the first you are expected to buy.
Getting yourself a sewing machine is very necessary especially if you are a fashion lover who loves to craft things yourself, it doesn’t necessarily mean you must be a professional fashion designer or tailor, some people started learning even without a tutor just by doing something they never thought of. Some learn through YouTube, online courses, and so on.
We also have the category of people that are experts in the fashion designing space, prices of sewing machines in Nigeria cannot be static as the prices of goods and commodities changes based on the economy so being a practicing fashion designer doesn’t mean you will know the current cost of sewing machine.
Read Also: Top 10 Best Fashion Schools in Nigeria
For the benefit of those new in the fashion designing profession, those who are already established and those who just want to own the machine so as to learn at their own pace we have published the latest price list of sewing machines in Nigeria.
What is a Sewing Machine?
You must be wondering why this question is asked because you know most people know what it is and have seen one, you are right but for the sake of those who still don’t know we have the definition below and also some pictures of sewing machines.
Sewing machines are used to stitch two or more clothing materials together by using threads which at the end gives a beautifully stitched and neat wear of any design. The stitches are always neatly done compared to hand-stitched clothes, that is why a sewing machine is a necessity for fashion designers and others who needs it to give their work the best touch.
Here is a picture showing sewing machines:
Mind you, there are various functions you can perform with a sewing machine and the functions are limited to the type of sewing machine you are using, we have the regular ones that can only be used to stitch while we have others that can perform other functions and tasks. To give you a clearer knowledge about this we will list and explain the types of sewing machines mainly used in Nigeria.
Types of Sewing Machines In Nigeria
Below are the three main types of sewing machines in Nigeria;
1. Hand Sewing Machine
This is the type of sewing machine mostly used in Nigeria, it is being operated manually by hand and also mostly by tailors, you need no form or source of electricity to get it working.
2. Electric Sewing Machine
This is a sewing machine that relies on the use of electricity to function, without electricity it cannot be used, and that is the reason why most tailors or fashion designers in Nigeria do not use this type of sewing machine mainly because of the epileptic power supply in Nigeria which will make you end up disappointing your customers. Although with the fact that there is no stable power supply in Nigeria we still have a high number of people who use it, some have their own source of electricity e.g. Generator, Solar, etc.
3. Computer-based Sewing Machine
This is also one of the major sewing machines in Nigeria although just a few professional fashion designers have it as it is much more expensive, you will get value for your money anyways.
A computer-based sewing machine is being controlled and operated by an inbuilt computer system you as the owner just have to be computer literate then you can perform wonders with such machine.
Read Also: Top 10 Best Fashion Designers in Nigeria
Some Other Types Of Sewing Machine
Those mentioned above are the most-used sewing machines in Nigeria, we also have those who own and use the other types of sewing machines based on their functions. Below is the list of other types of sewing machines;
- Fast Seam Sewing machine
- Industrial Sewing machine
- Embroidery Sewing machine
- Portable Sewing machine or Mini Sewing machine
- Furriery Sewing machine
- Over-Stitching Sewing machine
Cost Of Sewing Machines in Nigeria
The prices of sewing machines in Nigeria vary based on the type you want to buy also if it is brand new or fairly used (tokunbo). We took it up to ourselves to go from one market to the other alongside an experienced tailor and we came back with the following price list.
Prices of Domestic Sewing Machines in Nigeria
- Twolion Domestic Sewing Machine (Small table): ₦32,000 – ₦35,000
- Twolion Domestic Sewing Machine (Large table): ₦34,000 – ₦37,000
- Twolion/Sumo Premium domestic Sewing machine model JA2-1(2drawer): ₦55,000 – ₦60,000
- Twolion/ Sumo Premium domestic sewing machine model JA2-1 (2drawer) with electric motor: ₦60,000 – ₦65,000
- Twolion multifunctional sewing machine model 8590: ₦65,000
- Twolion / Sumo Premium domestic sewing machine model JA2-1 (3drawer): ₦58,000 – ₦63,000
- Twolion /Sumo Premium domestic sewing machine model JA2-1 (3drawer) + electric motor: ₦62,000 – ₦67,000
- Butterfly Domestic Sewing Machine (Large Table): ₦37,000 – ₦40,000
- Butterfily Domestic Sewing Machine (Small table): ₦34,000 – ₦37,000
- Butterfly Multi-stitch Portable Sewing Machine (8190): ₦32,000 – ₦35,000
Prices of Industrial & Overlock Sewing Machines in Nigeria
- Twolion Industrial Straight Sewing Machine: ₦75,000 – ₦80,000
- Sumo Premium Industrial Straight Machine: ₦75,000 – ₦80,000
- Brother Industrial Straight Sewing (Used): ₦60,000 – ₦65,000
- Twolion industrial overlocking machine, (model TL 737/747/757): ₦160,000 – ₦170,000
- Hudong Industrial Straight Sewing Machine: ₦80,000 – ₦85,000
- Hudong industrial overlocking machine, (model HD 737/747/757): ₦165,000 – ₦175,000
- Hudong direct drive industrial overlocking machine (model HD 737D/747 D/757D): ₦165,000 – ₦175,000
- Emel Industrial Straight Sewing Machine: ₦85,000 – ₦90,000
- Emel industrial overlocking machine, (model EM 737 /747 /757): ₦185,000 – ₦200,000
- Xiantypical direct drive overlocking machine, (model 737D/747D/757D): ₦165,000 – ₦175,000
Without sewing machines, we can’t have tailors doing neat stitches, even though they can use needles to stitch it will never be close to comparing such wear with clothes made by sewing machines. This means sewing machines are important in every tailor or fashion designer’s life as this makes them produce the best and also time effective. With the following tips, we wish you can make a wise decision on the sewing machine to buy.